Friday, December 7, 2018

Thanksgiving 2018

I know we're well into December, by now (how did that happen?!), but at least I'm getting this up before Christmas, right?  I considered just posting these pictures in a Facebook album, but like I've said before, I consider this blog a place to curate our life, and in case I get it printed someday (hoping that's a thing...?), I'm going to put them here.  Plus, I can give a little better commentary in this format.

So, before I get to Thanksgiving festivities, a little background:
Have I ever told you my mom grew up on a farm in the middle of Nebraska?  She did, and her brother and his wife and my grandpa still live there (Grandma is with Jesus)!  There are two separate houses on the property, as well as a barn, harvestore(s), lots of out buildings with equipment, corrals, etc., etc.  There are pastures surrounding and across the street (and train tracks) where the horses and cattle live.  There have been other animals on the farm over the years, as well, but a staple is the herd of barn cats that come from all directions every morning when my grandpa walks across the farm to feed them, singing, "Hello, my babies!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkfU1JqmkHM) You know how I feel about cats, so you can imagine how I felt about having so many of them (and usually a litter or two of kittens) around at once any time we'd visit.

I grew up spending every-other Thanksgiving/Christmas on the farm, as well as a solid week each summer.  There was the occasional wedding/funeral/reunion trip, as well, but since it was six hours away, if we were going, we were going for several days.  I have more memories than space/time to share here, but this post about our most recent trip will allow me to share a few.

When we go to the farm, we're there to stay, which means the days are pretty much as follows:
wake up
eat breakfast
do the dishes
feed the cats
walk around the farm
eat lunch
do the dishes
take a nap (or work outside)
eat supper
do the dishes
play games
go to bed

Sometimes, there's a football game on.  Sometimes, we might run to town on an errand.  If it's Saturday night, we eat popcorn and make shakes.  But mostly, we spend quality time together, whether it's helping with a project, putting together a puzzle, or reminiscing through the coffee table photo album.  There's always food and laughter and memories made, and I think I can speak for everyone when I say it is so special to be able to begin sharing all this with the next generation.

Speaking of those babies...here they are pre-Thanksgiving meal:
You may recall a similar picture from several months ago...
These were my first Cricut HTV projects, and it was so fun to make them for our sweet babies!

My grandma (and her cousin) used to make these for our Thanksgiving place settings, so I made sure we had some again this year.
#traditiontradition

I think we probably have a picture of EVERY cousin as a toddler squatting down to pet the barn kitties.  Jacob was so excited to see them all!

Instead of sleeping off the turkey after our Thanksgiving meal, the guys went to "the hills" to help my cousins work cattle.  After the little boys woke up from nap, we mamas took them to see the operation, and they could've stayed alllll day! 

Those mama cows were constantly calling for their babies, and Jacob just kept smiling and laughing and saying, "Moo." in his tiny little voice.
Bryant can tell you way more about the process they helped with if you care to know.
Second cousins!

The "traditional" picture in (great)grandma's tub. ♥

"Stair-step" cousins (just missing one, so we included him "virtually")...
...and spouses (babies were in bed)!

The (little) boys loved walking around and seeing all the tractors/equipment. They just kept pointing and making their various tractor/truck noises.

The (big) boys spent an afternoon cutting down trees and smoking meat - living the dream, in their opinion!
*insert Home Improvement man sound here*

Snacktime with Grandma!
The kiddos got along and played together so well!

Great-Grandpa Jim ♥
That's all the pictures I have, so I'll leave it at that!  We're so thankful to have had good traveling weather, time to spend together (schedules are hard!),

Hoping you all had a lovely Thanksgiving gathering, as well, and are enjoying a blessed holiday season, thus far.

Thankfully,
Kensy

Favorites of the day:
the Relevant podcast
new friends
Jacob's love of watching/looking for snow

No comments:

Post a Comment