Sunday, February 6, 2011

Mysterious Ways + Salt of the Earth

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!  I just made puppy chow to take to a get together in a few hours.  I'm not rooting for anyone in particular, in case you're wondering - I'm one of those people who are just in it for the commercials and company.  : )


Thought I'd share a bit about my weekend thus far:


Late Friday night, I woke up with the flu (the throw-up kind).  I can't remember the last time I'd had the flu, or even thrown up...had to be early high school or even jr. high...?  Anyway, I was SUPER bummed when it didn't go away by morning, because I was supposed to go to my grandparents' 60th anniversary celebration on Saturday.  I was the only cousin not in attendance and missed out on spending the day with my immediate and extended family.  (I'm not looking for a pity party, by the way.  I had a pretty good one here by myself on Saturday morning.)  Instead, I spent the day on the couch with Charlie.  Can't remember the last time I did absolutely nothing for such an extended period of time.


Sorry if that grossed any of you out.  The reason I'm sharing this is because all day I was trying to figure out why God had me all cooped up on such a special day.  My answer came this morning:


I'd been asked to baby-sit for some friends this morning, but told them yesterday that it probably wasn't a good idea for me to do so, just in case, and they found someone else to help out.  When I woke up this morning, though, I felt 100% better!  I hadn't set an alarm for church, because I thought I should let my body rest as long as it needed to, but still woke up at a decent time.  A couple minutes after turning my phone on for the day, I received a call from a church music director asking if I was available to play this morning with the church orchestra - his 2nd trumpet player was sick.  I said yes, of course (playing in church is my favorite way to use my God-given talents)!  


It was such a wonderful service to be a part of!  Not only was the music amazing, but the guest preacher was awesome!  Her message about being the "salt of the earth" was funny, historical, relevant, and refreshing.  She spoke about a recent news special she'd seen about salt and how there are four kinds of it, each with its own special use (seasoning, ice melt, etc.).  Also - did you know that in Jesus' time, there were community ovens along the streets that were fueled by animal poop that had been dried out using salt?  Yep, it's true.  When the fires had died out, a clay-like substance was left, and thrown on the streets for people to walk on.  SO, that's what Jesus was referring to when He said, "You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot." in Matthew 5:13!  


We, as the salt of the earth, are called not to make icy walks safer, not to make French fries tastier, but to be a catalyst for the fire of the community of Christ.   


So, even though I was so very sad to miss out on a day of family and fellowship yesterday and baby-sitting for a sweet girl this morning, I feel so blessed to have been a part of today's service.  


God is good.


In Him,
Kensy



Favorites of the day:
feeling better!
friends
budding relationships (no, not my own, but very happy for someone else!)

No comments:

Post a Comment