Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Out of the Mouths of Babes: Part 4

My apologies to those of you who don't find as much joy and humor in my "kiddo stories" as some do - I promise to write about other topics in future posts.  These can't go without sharing, though:

About 10 minutes after explaining to the 5-yr.-old I nanny for that the library was closed due to Veteran's Day, he asked, "What's Barbarian's Day?"  It took me a second to understand what he was asking, but then I realized that because he pronounces his "v"'s with a "b" sound, "Veteran's" got mistranslated in his head as he kept thinking about what I'd said.  It took me a second to re-translate...

After telling one of my little 4-yr.-old girl students the piece she was about to play was written by Ludwig van Beethoven, she asked, "Does he like mac-and-cheese?"

I've had a few introductory lessons with new students, lately.  During one of them, I asked the first-grader what his favorite color is.  He replied, "Blue and black."  I said, "Both?!"  He explained, "Blue is my favorite color because I like blue things, and black is my favorite color, because when I make a mistake, I can just color over it in black."

Our studio's student recital is coming up, so we've been doing lots preparing for it in lessons.  One of my kindergarten students had to sign up to perform during a time that I won't be in attendance at the recital, and he is aware of that.  After he played his pieces for me this week, I asked if he was excited for his first recital.  He said, "Yeah...but I'm not excited you're not going to be there..."  Melted my heart!  (I'll be teaching during the time he's performing...and I'll be wishing I was there to hear him!)

The same kiddo informed me that he was getting drums for Christmas (after using our legs as pretend drums in our lesson).  "Aaand I'm getting real powers...like to turn into a dog...or a cat," he said.  This was followed by a lengthy explanation of how he'll still be him and will be able to turn back into a human when he wants, but he will be getting real powers, because that's one of the things he put on his list to Santa.  I said, "Real powers, huh?"  He replied, "Yeah.  I'm using my imagination - that's what my mom says.  But I'm still going to be able to turn into a dog."



I hope you all have a very blessed Thanksgiving and safe travels, if you're headed out of town.

Thankfully,
Kensy

Favorites of the day:
productivity
the movie "While You Were Sleeping"
family time!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment