Sunday, April 3, 2016

Broken - Part 1

Hi.  Gonna jump right in, here (figuratively, of course...).

I had a "first" on Friday: I broke my foot.  Not only was this the first time I'd broken my foot, but it was also the first time I'd broken a bone.  Ever.  Guess I broke my record (pun intended).

Yes, it was April Fool's Day.  No, this was not a joke.

It was a complete accident, and I knew right away something was wrong.  In fact, I heard the snap - I just didn't want to acknowledge it for what it was.

My knight in shining armor rushed home to take me to get an x-ray and diagnosis.  Thankfully, we got right in and all went as it should, given the situation.  After inspecting the x-ray pictures, I believe my doctor's words were, "Well, you broke it."  Yay.  The third and fourth metatarsals in my left foot are fractured.  They're not out of place, so that's good.  As far as we know, no surgery or anything will be necessary.

So, she sent me home with a prescription for pain pills, instructions to stay off it as much as possible, and this:

As inconvenient/annoying/frustrating as it is, this really couldn't have happened at a better time.  I had just completed my pressing obligations for the day when it happened.  We'd just come off a week of lots of big projects around the house.  I'd been busy with Pampered Chef parties and nannying, in addition to the rest of our activities, but have a less-full couple of weeks coming up.  We don't have any travel plans for a few weeks.  We don't have children.  We don't have a huge house with stairs, etc. to navigate.  If I had to break a bone, now would've been the preferred time, anyway.

That being said, if you know me at all, you know how difficult being fairly helpless and un-useful is for me.  I'll be writing more about this in a future post.  For now, though, I just want to praise my amazing husband for being such a good and capable caretaker.  Apparently, we're supposed to be practicing the "in sickness and in health" stuff, lately - he had gum surgery a couple weeks ago, so I'd just completed my "turn" at playing nurse.

So, here's to a couple days of completing all my "able to be done while sitting down" tasks and a few weeks of wearing a new kind of footwear.  ☺

Fracturedly,
Kensy


Favorites of the day:
Netflix
live online streaming for church services
fresh flowers


No comments:

Post a Comment