Friday, March 25, 2011

You may find this very surprising...

I’m going to make you wait for the surprising news till after I tell you about something else:

I just returned from a lovely trip with my alma mater’s band on their tour to Denver.  As you may already know, I was invited along to play French horn (and serve as the videographer), and I took the challenge.  Though this tour was different than any other I’d been on (different people, different director, different places, etc.), it was still very enjoyable and nice to get away for a bit.  Here are some of the highlights:

Pen/pencil wall at Pioneer Village

Ole's Big Game Steakhouse
We also had dinner at Casa Bonita.  Our table was under a gazebo right next to the cliff/waterfall.  The diver came over to chat on more than one occasion.  : )

Room all to myself!
We performed four concerts at various high schools, spent lots of quality time on the bus, and frequented the hotel pool and hot tub.

Scott's Bluff
Chimney Rock
Lake McConaughy

And now, the moment you’ve all been waiting for:

The unusual/surprising event in which I participated last night was…




speed dating.

Now that you’ve startled those around you with a gasp of shock at this news, let’s discuss it a bit.

While to some this may seem to be a way to meet people out of desperation, I can honestly say that I just wanted to take part in this event to 1. see what it was like and 2. say I’ve done it, and I feel like this is the most opportune time in my life to do so.  Meeting a “potential” was considered a bonus, in my book. : )

As it turns out, there was a pretty poor turnout for this particular speed date.  Not many people signed up in the first place, but also, a couple of the guys didn't show up.  SO, we were left with 5 (I was expecting 15+ based on previous events).  For those of you who aren't familiar with speed dating, the process goes as follows:

1. Sign in and receive check-list and name tag (with your first name and a number).
2. Find table with corresponding number.
3. Sit at the table and wait for men to arrive.
4. When man sits down, write his name and number (found on the name tag) on your checklist.
5. Chat for four minutes, or until the whistle is blown.
6. Wait for next man to sit down and repeat steps #4-#5 until you have spoken with all the men there.
7. Go through your checklist and circle “yes” or “no” next to each man’s name/number.  “Yes” means you’d like to correspond with him again.  “No” means you would rather not.

It was an interesting experience and I’m glad I can say I've done it, but I probably won’t participate again (unless someone else wants to try and needs a wingman).  Needless to say, I’m glad we were refunded half of the fee – due to the lack of gentlemen.  : )
So, there you have it.  I’d love to hear from anyone else who has tried this form of dating or anyone who has an opinion on it at all!


Hope those of you who’ve had a break this week have enjoyed it!  Too bad it wasn’t very spring-y…not here, at least:


Stay warm,
Kensy

P.S.  Charlie has his first appointment at the vet tomorrow - gotta get some shots.  By the way, I feel like he hit some a growth spurt while I was gone.  No little kitten face here, anymore!  Anyway, send happy thoughts his way in the morning.  : )


Favorites of the day:
shopping with my mom (and using a new coupon on a purchase I made a couple weeks ago!)
goodies from Grandma
the latest episode of “The Office


1 comment:

  1. Oh, I can't wait to see everyone again. I don't miss the snow, however. :) It has been beautiful here! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete