Saturday, January 5, 2013

A few loose ends from 2012...and the beginning of 2013!

Happy 2013!  I hope your year is off to an excellent start - mine sure is!

I am so thankful to have such a flexible work schedule!  I had the past two weeks off at the studio, and since I set my own hours at my other jobs, I was able to spend 8 days at home (in Topeka) with my family!  We spent lots of quality time watching movies, playing games (including racquetball), eating, running errands, etc., and it was wonderful!  I was also able to go bridesmaid/wedding dress shopping with my best friend (who is getting married this summer!!) - both priceless experiences I was so very thankful to have been able to be a part of.

On my way back to Lincoln, I stopped at my adult student's house in Pawnee City for lunch!  She was anxious for me to meet her husband and see her new piano (they got a great deal on a baby grand on Craigslist).  We had a lovely time eating the delicious lunch she made and playing their beautiful new piano (we played a couple duets and they asked me to play quite a few solos, too).

So, after my week-plus at home, I was still able to come back to the coop and have nearly a whole week to do whatever I wanted!  That has mostly included taking down Christmas decorations, putting in some quality time at Arts Inc. (added a new duty to my list: videographer of a surprise combo performance of "When the Saints Go Marching In" for a gentleman as he was pulling out of his driveway en route to his last day of work before retirement), but also some great evening outings with friends, a morning spent in my roomie's first grade classroom, and relaxing time at the coop.

My parents' Christmas gift to me was money intended for the purchase of a new T.V.!  I inherited the one I grew up watching (that my parents purchased before I was born), and that's what we've been using!  It still worked fine, but was slightly dated, so I guess they thought we deserved a newer model.  In the meantime, one of my uncle's coworkers got a new flat-screen...on the condition that he got rid of his current T.V.  So, when I arrived at the coop after my time at home, this is what greeted me:
The man had given the T.V. away for free, and my very capable uncle and cousin delivered and installed it at the coop!  So, then, I thought I'd use my Christmas money for a T.V. stand.  I was taking measurements and trying to envision what might work best, but we couldn't get over how well the old T.V. worked as a stand for the new one.  We kind-of joked about knocking out the screen and installing an aquarium, and that conversation led to the destruction of the whole T.V. with the intent to use it as a stand!  Here's the end result:  
My super-handy uncle volunteered to put in some shelves once it gets warmer outside/in his shop!
Also got a pretty awesome prop for a Halloween or some other costume out of the deal!
So, I put my Christmas money toward the purchase of a slip cover for our "gently" used couch, and now, we have a "new" living room!  Gotta love reusing/re-purposing/recycling...and handy uncles who are generous with their time and efforts.  ☺

That's all I've got, for now!  Thanks for reading and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

New Year-ly,
Kensy

P.S.  I'd like to remind you that I don't really make New Year's resolutions...so, no need to anticipate a post about them!  ☺


Favorites of the day:
spending quality time with friends, near and far
popcorn
my electric blanket (not a new fave, I know, but I sure missed it when I was gone!)



Update:
Here's the "after" picture - love it!




No comments:

Post a Comment