Monday, May 23, 2011

Did you know you were going that fast?

Yes, I did know I was going that fast.  I just didn't realize the speed limit had changed - woops.  A few tears and a $73 ticket later, I drove off thankful that the kind state trooper waived the "construction zone" fee.


This was my first actual ticket - I'd been pulled over twice before, but only received warnings.  Those times, I think I was intentionally going 5 (or so) over, but this time was completely accidental, which is why it was so frustrating/disappointing.  Through this experience, however, I had a little self-revelation: Situations similar to this are particularly hard for me to deal with and get over, because I am unable to change or reconcile the course of events (I don't count paying the ticket as making it better).  Similar situations might include:
-instances in which other people make choices you've advised them against
-"insert foot in mouth" conversations
-those times when you're part of a project that isn't getting done and you're being included in the reprimanding for it not being completed, even though it's out of your control
-situations in which someone is mad at or upset with you for reasons unknown to you, and they won't talk it out


The difference between getting a ticket and the aforementioned situations is that most, if not all, of the "similar situations" can eventually be rectified, whereas the ticket stays on your record for a few years (even if it was an accident)...and there's nothing you can do about it (aside from taking STOP class, I guess).   


The next revelation I had was this: We don't ever have to feel like we fail in life (via sin), because Jesus died for us - He paid our ticket and wiped our record clean!  I know that to some of you this may seem like a cliché Christianese analogy, but it's truly what's on my heart.  Even though I was feeling disappointed in myself and frustrated that I was out some money, my mind and heart were calmed in the realization that this is a very minor "bump," and virtually the only time in life I would have reason to feel the way I did.


On that same note, while listening to a devotional CD in the car, I heard Beth Moore make the following point:  When we say "I love you!" to God, we may be implying that we don't fully believe He loves us back - it may not feel like He does sometimes.  To avoid falling into this frame of  mind, we should say to Him instead, "I love you, too!"  He initiated the love, after all, so it makes sense that this should be our response.


THANK YOU for the positive feedback some of you have given!  I really appreciate it.  : )  I'll take "anonymous" up on the suggestion in a later post.  In the meantime, I will tell you how to make the music notes:
Alt. + 13 = ♪
Alt. + 14 = ♫ 


In doing that, I just discovered other symbols you can make with the Alt. = # combinations!  Here are some more:
Alt. + 1 = ☺
Alt. + 2 = ☻
Alt. + 3 = ♥
Alt. + 4 = ♦
Alt. + 5 = ♣
Alt. + 6 = ♠
Alt. + 7 = •
Alt. + 8 = ◘
Alt. + 9 = ○
Alt. + 10 = ◙
Alt. + 11 = ♂
Alt. + 12 = ♀
Alt. + 15 = ☼
Alt. + 16 = ►
Alt. + 17 = 
Alt. + 18 = ↕
Alt. + 19 = ‼


Who knew?!  Pretty cool, in my opinion.


Ok - that's all for now.  Hope you all have a great rest of the week!


Thanks,
Kensy


Favorites of the day:
attending and playing on a fun final jazz/Image concert at LCS (hooray for "Brass Machine"!!)
afternoon nap with Charlie
worship time at Bible study
good news lately for so many friends, but especially my BFFAE!

1 comment:

  1. So thankful that Jesus has paid the ticket that I owe. Love than analogy. Love reading your thoughts :) And the only thing I've helped you get good at is playing games!? Lol.

    ReplyDelete