Saturday, January 29, 2011

Subbing Stories

Whew!  That week sure flew by, even though it was the first full one we've had in awhile (those of us in the education world, at least...or maybe just me?  haha).


Anyway, it was a good one here - hope yours was fantastic, as well!


I got to sub for three different teachers/classrooms this week, and they were all music classes - hooray!  Thought I'd share a few things from these experiences:

  • "Are we discouraging you from being a teacher?" -high school choir kids  (Of course, I said "No!")
  • Jr. High lunch room duty: nothing about jr. high has changed...drama, drama, DRAMA!!!  Yikes...
  • A jr. high girl who I student taught last year came into the room where I was supervising a study hall to ask me a question.  There were other students around, so she decided to write down the question.  It was, "Do you have a boyfriend?"  I answered out loud with a "Not right now," to which she replied, "What?!  But you're so pretty!" I laughed and said, "Well, thanks.  If you know someone you think I should meet, you can let him know."  She said, "Yeah - I'll tell him I know this really awesome girl who's awesome at the trumpet.  If you're interested in that, you should be interested in her!"  I made sure to tell her, "It would be ok if he were interested in other things, too."  
: )  Getting back in the classroom on occasion is such a blessing.  It's especially nice when I get to be surrounded by such great kiddos (and staff)!



Also - I don't think I've shared about this, yet (forgive me if I have):
As of the beginning of this semester, I have an adult beginning trumpet student at the studio (Harris Music Studio)!  We meet once a week, and it's been soooo fun to teach someone who is excited, self-motivated, eager to learn, and who understands concepts younger beginners can't.  Don't get me wrong - I love teaching the younger ones, but it has just been a great (and new!) experience to teach someone older.


Sorry if you're not a music or education person and were bored by this post.  Your day will come!    (If anyone ever has any requests for posts or topics of discussion, be sure to let me know!)


Enjoy the rest of the weekend!
-Kens


Favorites of the day:
the 9-yr.-old trumpet prodigy whose solo I'm accompanying (She's amazing!)
Date Delights (a.k.a. Date Balls) - here's my mom's recipe:


1 c. sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. margarine/butter
3/4 c. chopped dates
3/4 c. chopped pecans

Combine and bring to a boil.  Cook 5 min.  Remove from heat and stir in 2 c. Rice Krispies.  Cool slightly.  With buttered hands, roll in 1-in. balls and roll in powdered sugar.
Yields 4 dozen

No comments:

Post a Comment