Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thankful for...and Out of the Mouths of Babes: Part 3

Hello!  


I'm not going to take time to greet you further than that, because you're going to need all the time you can get to read this post!  Enjoy!  : )


First of all, I finally took a Zumba class this morning...and loved it!  Guided dancing targeting heart rate and all muscle groups for 50 minutes to awesome music?  Yes, please!  If only it were offered more often...and at more convenient times!  Oh well - I'll take what I can get!


Secondly, I've been meaning to share this with you for quite some time:
After hearing a pastor talk about writing things he's thankful for in a very visible in his home each day, my roommate and I decided we'd like to do the same.  So, with some butcher paper, markers, glitter glue, and an ugly, scratched painting with a beautiful frame on clearance at Bed, Bath and Beyond (with a coupon, too, thank you!), we created this:
The marker box is affixed with a 3M strip, so residents and guests can add their blessings whenever they'd like!


Another thing: toward the end of my longest night of teaching last night, a 5-yr.-old student brought something she'd made for me:
Want to make my day?
Just bring me a tiara you made for me to wear.  : )


Finally, I've had some gems of quotes so far this week - enjoy:


As we turned to his new piece to learn and I read the title, "Morning Has Broken, " a 12-yr.-old student remarked, "Better get the glue!"  Definitely made me laugh out loud...which was his intent!


I gave farm animal stickers one day this week, and as an 8-yr.-old girl student was deciding which horse to pick, she said, "My favorite horse color is brown...that's my favorite hair color, too, because I like Selena Gomez...I wish my hair was brown (she's a natural platinum blonde)...and I'm growing my hair out to be like hers, but I don't think I'll ever be like her - my hair isn't curly enough...and I wish my name was Selena, but I don't want my last name to be Gomez, so we're not twins twins."  My response, "(pause to take it all in) I think you have beautiful hair and such a pretty name!  Let's get back to playing piano, now."  : )


The same girl was mentioning, for some reason, that her mom works downtown.  She then shared this thought, "I love downtown!  The only thing I don't like about it is people living on the streets in the cold, cold weather.  I just feel bad!  If I wanted to live on the streets, I'd choose someplace warm...like Florida."


AND as great as those all were, this one might take the cake:
I was playing Barbies with the kids I nanny for, and the 2-yr.-old shared that her Barbie was going to have a baby.  The 4-yr.-old boy said to that Barbie, "You huff and you puff and you blow that baby out of your tummy - like the big bad wolf did to those houses!"  What?!  No, we didn't subsequently have the "birds and the bees" convo - I just laughed as he proceeded to ask for his Barbie's pants to be changed to a skirt, because "she likes fashion."


See why I love my life?


Blessings,
Kensy


P.S. Kitty litter update: It's not working out.  Getting a covered litter box and going back to the clumping, chemically stuff.  Oh well.  Here's a recent picture of Charlie.  : )

Favorites of the day:
smoothies
music
the "not a fan" journal/study

No comments:

Post a Comment