Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Growing Up

I don’t know if it’s due to my recent college graduation, my age, or what, but lately I’ve been inundated (anyone remember the day Mr. Stahly discovered that word?) with “adult” experiences and the feeling that time is passing faster than I can handle.  Don’t worry – I’ve come prepared with examples to validate my statement:
-       I did the math the other day (in my head – it took like 2 seconds), and realized I’ve lived a quarter of my life. 
-       The newborns I once baby-sat are in middle school.
-       Other youngsters I baby-sat are now baby-sitting the babies I used to watch (whose ages are approaching double-digits).
-       I attended 4 weddings this summer/fall…the couples getting married were my classmates.
-       I’m pretty sure some of the parents of the preschoolers in the music class I taught this summer were my age…or younger.
-       About half of the young adult Bible study I joined this fall is made up of married, engaged, or seriously dating couples (no, I am not in this half).  Don’t get me wrong – I love it – it’s just much different than the college-age Bible studies I just came from in that we discuss topics such as money, finding jobs, and starting a family rather than homework stress and busy schedules.
-       I no longer introduce myself as “Kensy, a (insert college grade level) Music Education major from Topeka, KS.”  Instead, people ask what I do for a living, if I’m married, and if I have kids.
Don’t get me wrong – I love and am content with where I am in life right now, and I realize this is how life goes.  I’m just making some general observations and though I’d share. 

It’s interesting to think back to what I thought my life would look like at this age when I was younger. For example, when asked in 6th grade where we saw ourselves in ten years, I answered “done with college, married, starting a family.” I’d accomplished one of those goals within the time limit. In high school, I think I still assumed my 6th grade prediction would come true, but I was more concerned with graduatingand “starting a new chapter in my life.”  About this time last year, I had no idea what the next fall would bring.  Throughout my senior year, I went through phases of being ok with the unknown and being very worried/concerned/scared about what would come next (those closest to me can definitely attest to this).  I kept reciting Matthew 6:34, though, and fully trusted that God had it all under control.  Surprise! – He did.  : ) 

In honor of this post, I’d like to invite you on a trip down memory lane with me. I’m sharing a link to the website I created in our Music Tech class at the beginning of my senior year at NWU.  On it, you’ll find videos and recordings of some of my performances, various college papers and narrative about them, my (old) résumé and future plans, my senior statement, etc.  It’s so interesting to look back on things like this, even though I created it all fairly recently.  Let me know if you have any feedback!

http://music.nebrwesleyan.edu/~kberggre/


May you always be young at heart,
Kensy


Favorites of the day:
Making chicken noodle soup and having a good ol’ family dinner with great friends last night
My electric blanket

No comments:

Post a Comment