Monday, November 22, 2010

Harris Music Studio (and more!)

What a weekend! 

A dear friend was in town for the music educator's convention, so I got to spend some quality time with her, AND I got to spend some time with a few NWU trumpeters, because I played herald trumpets with them for the Elizabethan Feast the Wesleyan Chamber Singers (and company) put on each year.  I've done this for the last 4 years, and they needed extra help, so of course I agreed to take part in it (to be with friends, yes, but also because we get to partake in the feast when we're done!).

Perhaps the most noteworthy event, though, was the Harris Music Studio (this is a different color because it's a link to the website - check it out!) Second Annual Faculty Recital.  I feel so blessed to be a part of this group of people for so many reasons.  This blessing was affirmed in the time we spent sharing our talents with each other, our students, and the rest of the audience.  (Before the faculty recital in the evening, we gave a "Wedding Preview" recital of musical selections commonly performed at weddings.  If you're interested in finding out more about this, let me know!)  I wasn't sure how many of my students would be in attendance, but was pleasantly surprised to see the majority of them there! 

I played a piano and flugelhorn solo (not at the same time) and the bass part to a cool jazz flute piece on keyboard.  It was great to have a reason to get "back in shape" and perform!

It was also nice to be able to converse with the faculty and continue to get to know everyone.  We don't get the chance to have much conversation past "Hi!  How are you?"  "Good, and you?" when we see each other between lessons, so the opportunity to have some real conversation was appreciated.

SO, there you have it - a glimpse into my life for the past few days!  : )  I hope your weekend was wonderful and the week is off to a great start!

Musically yours,
Kensy

P.S. The spell check said "flugelhorn" was spelled wrong and suggested I use "flagellation" instead.  I'm a little bit offended...

Favorites of the day:
the $9.99 Friends seasons on DVD I just got on Amazon.com (there are some great pre-Black Friday deals there!)
Oprah's last "Favorite Things" show - yep, it was on today
Pillsbury crescent rolls 

No comments:

Post a Comment